Windows 8 Finally Moves Past 10% Market Share Among Desktop Operating Systems

Windows 8 Finally Moves Past 10% Market Share Among Desktop Operating Systems

Windows 8 is nearly one and a half years old. Unfortunately for Microsoft, Windows 8 has had its fair share of troubles since its release.

Without getting into specifics, consumers didn’t really like Windows 8 and found it confusing to use when compared to older versions of Windows. That was bad for Windows 8’s sales figures and it meant that many users refused to upgrade from Windows 7.

According to NetMarketShare.com, Windows 8 finally passed 10% market share in December 2013. Windows as a whole now occupies 90.73% of the world’s desktop operating system market share.

Here are the latest market share movements for Microsoft’s major operating systems:

Windows 8 has 6.89% market share and Windows 8.1 has 3.60% market share, giving the Windows 8.x OS a total of 10.49% market share in the desktop operating system world

Windows 7 picked up 0.88% market share

Windows XP’s market share fell below 30% for the first time in over a decade, dropping 2.24% market share to reach 28.98% share for the month of December 2013

The weirdest part about the Windows 8.x market share is that the majority of Windows 8 users are still using Windows 8 instead of Windows 8.1. Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade that improves a number of key aspects of the operating system. Why wouldn’t you make the upgrade?

windows 8

How much will Windows 8’s market share grow in 2014? How many users will still be using Windows XP after the April 2014 kill date? We’ll have to wait and see.

You can learn more market share numbers here: http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8&qpcustomd=0

Tags:

,,, 

Comments are closed.

  • Free Up Disk and Memory Space
  • Speed up your System
  • Fix System Errors And Crashes
  • Improve Internet Access
  • Boost Start-up Speed